Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Saltine Toffee Recipe & Tips



Saltine Toffee



Not healthy, but delicious!!



 The lady I work for made these a year ago and boy was I hooked!!! At first I was really put off by the idea of toffee and saltine crackers, but trust me… it works! As I was attempting to make them, I tried to use light brown sugar and "healthier butter". It didn't go so well. I may try that again in the future now that I have the technique down, however I only seem to be making them once a year so, how bad could it be?!?! I made these, but since I can't tolerate as much sweets as I use to, (I put myself on a homemade cleanse to help me cut my sweet tooth and it worked!), I gave quite a bit away, and I think some may go to waste. They keep for about a week or so in the fridge, you can eat them a bit longer- but they lose the freshness!



 You can find a million recipes online but here is the one I used and some tips that may help you:


* If you’re debating using the foil, DO!!! Cleaning up the pans after, well let's just say you don't want that mess on your hands!

* Definitely make sure the crackers are right next to each other; this helps a lot. If not, you lose a lot of the toffee that you’re going to make and pour over them.

* When making my toffee, I brought it to a boil and then let it boil for about 8 seconds… stirring the whole time. If you just bring it to a boil and remove it from the heat, it seems the crackers are too chewy.

* The recipe says "don't worry if you don't spread over all the crackers" but really, you need to pour it over as much of the crackers as you can. It won't "spread to cover" quite like the recipe says. An uncovered cracker, is just a saltine not a toffee saltine!

* After I put the chocolate chips on the crackers, I stuck the pan back in the oven for about 10 seconds. Otherwise, it is hard to spread them across all the crackers. A regular spoon worked the best.

* These taste better the next day. I don't know why, but trust me.



 You can top these with any kind of nuts you want, or just with crumbled up crackers.

I used some almonds that I had for salads.

Walnuts would be healthy, full of Omega 3!



 I would like to make these with dark chocolate chips. I am sure they will be just as good!

If you want you can use dark brown sugar instead (haven't tried it!)


Hope you enjoy. Sorry, Blogger is still not letting me post pictures within the post so please look to the right for a photo. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.


Kerrie

No comments:

Post a Comment