Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Kerrie's Strawberry & Cherry Trifle

You guys know that I love healthy dessert!!!


I made this last week and it was so good, I could hardly stay away from it. and I didn't feel guilty eating it, that was the beauty of it. It is so good and creamy, you won't be able to stay away!! I would think the worst thing in it is the heavy whipping cream, fail.

 My husband, Mitch doesn't like overly sweet desserts and I can't really eat much of them since I was on that cleanse a while back, overly sweet stuff doesn't taste right to me now. I've made this 2x and the first time, it only tasted good the 1st or 2nd day, the 3rd day it was getting runny. However, the 2nd time I made it, the 3rd day it was delicious! Who knows why that happened!!



This is the site I found the recipe that I followed, but of course I had to add my own touches:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/strawberry-trifle



I) I used my kitchen aid mixer, I beat the milk, yogurt, pudding mix (use the powder, do not mix it up) on low speed until it was thick.
Set to the side.

2) Again, in my mixer, I whipped up the heavy whipping cream, half a teaspoon of vanilla (a little less is fine too, vanilla just brings out your flavors but too much gives that ober-powering vanilla taste, yuck! ) and a teaspoon of sugar. It takes several minutes for it to thicken unlike the videos that I watched that said it only takes a minute so don't give up right away!
Fold into the pudding mix. 
(GENTLY stir in)

*I didn't know how to make up whipping cream and the instructions aren't here for that but I found one online. I added a hint of vanilla (like half a teaspoon) and a teaspoon of sugar while it was whipping up.

The key to making your own whip cream is that your bowl and the attachment from your mixer is very cold. I put mine in the fridge for about 15 minutes. The freezer, I would do maybe 10. Make sure it is complete dry if you use the freezer!
*** With the mixer, Look at this:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kitchaid+mixer+parts&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=kitchaid+mixer+parts&sc=8-19&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=5D5935CFDF1A29A904DA56B8F1312C0A4DE53C34&selectedIndex=31
The part on the top left, is the one to use for the whip cream.
The part on the bottom left, is the part for the pudding mix.



INGREDIENTS:
2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped up.

Almost 1lb strawberry's, washed and cut into halves.
Chopped walnuts, half a cup. High in calories but good in Omega 3. http://cholesterol.about.com/od/treatments/a/walnut.htm
Half a 10oz jar of Maraschino cherries, no stem.
8 cups cubed angel food cake (any will work). Bake it and let it cool, then cut into small cubes.
Sugar
Vanilla
I did not use the orange peel.
You need a mixer!

Use a Trifle bowl if you have one and add layer by layer. I started with a layer of the whip cream mixture on the bottom
Next, I layered the fruit, nuts and cake. Repeat, repeat! Don't forget the cake like I did the 2nd time, then you have to make more whip cream to make those layers pretty!
I like a layer of the whip cream mixture with a few nuts and fruit on top to finish it off. Chill for a hour an serve

Tips:
You can add/use other nuts or fruit. I am going to mix up sugar free chocolate pudding instead of the vanilla pudding mixture next time to see how that taste, Yum!!

I wouldn't add more sugar or it just makes it unhealthy. If you feel the need, just add half a teaspoon at a time. To taste.


I absolutely loved this and so has everyone that I have served it too. I will be making it again very soon. Come over and have some!!

Kerrie



No comments:

Post a Comment